Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Exploring Color

Here is a series of four untitled 15" x 11" acrylic paintings done on paper. These pieces were my reintroduction to the process of painting after considering the medium irrelevant to me for many years. I decided that I wanted to please the rods AND the cones in my eyeballs. Working atop a geometric sketch, I was mostly concerned with mixing colors from a limited palette and putting them next to each other in various combinations and working intuitively in a continuous feedback loop of painting and repainting until each image settled into a state of equilibrium.

These are a test to see if I really want to paint, and I do. From here on I will be painting larger and on canvas, which I refer to dorkily as the "fabric of space-time".







1 comment:

Bee said...

These paintings are such a perfectly natural and completely unexpected development! I've been very stuck in my day job for the past few weeks, and these reminded me that one way to un-stick might be to spend a little time on my own creative work. I can't wait to see your works on canvas - these are great!