Saturday, May 22, 2010

colored pencil drawing

I'm continuing with several drawings like this, growing geometric networks that look like cells or bubbles packing together. I'm starting them all similarly by laying down a triangular array and then building upon that grid in various ways using only straight lines without a ruler. I start at a single point on the paper and grow shapes to the edges of the paper, and I stop when I can't draw any more shapes without going off the edge of the paper. I'm thinking of the paper as an environment with a carrying capacity for life, and my little blobs are life. The edges of the paper are real boundaries. The paper is not just a window into some other world. It is the world. I think of it as a flatland ecosystem, and my drawn cells are some sort of dimension-challenged beginnings for life.

No comments: