Saturday, August 14, 2010

Branching Monoprints on Mirrors: Part 2

Here of some images of what these branch prints actually look like. It was difficult taking a picture of a thing on a mirror. I think when I do this for real I'm going do it on white glass or clear glass and then paint it white.


I'm not sure if these are actually monoprints. They are the plates and aren't ever printed onto anything else. I guess they are dried up potential monoprints.



These patterns are the result of simultaneous self-organization determined by the physical properties of the inks, plates and the force used to pull them apart. It's difficult to comprehend, especially since I'm used to intentional manipulation of my materials component by component, accumulating into something growing from a single point. These patterns happen everywhere all at once, as though each part knows exactly what every other part is doing and plans its position accordingly. But there is no planning, no deciding. Stuff just just does this, and it shows up everywhere in biology.









No comments: