Monday, May 16, 2011

stippling experiments

These aren't really experiments, I just called them that because it's a new method for me. These images are details of one drawing that I'm making using one inch squares as different fields, and each field has different rules for placement of dots using an ink pen on paper.
The bottom left square's rules were: place dots in a random array, continually assess the visual qualities of the dots for the emergence of tonal density or imagery, avoid overt imagery but make a pleasing formal arrangement. Basically, just doodle with dots.

The upper right square's rules were different, they were: place dots evenly until uniformly dark value is achieved. Eventually individual marks will leave pathways and subtle areas of extra density, without much focus.

I've got a dozen or so squares to fill with dots in various ways, and I think in the end this drawing will be a rewarding exercise and an interesting piece.

No comments: