Thursday, February 22, 2007

Small Paintings

Yesterday morning and this morning I got up early and started painting. I didn't have a plan, I just had a size (2.5 by 3.5 inches) and some watercolors. This is standard playing card size, also standard 'Art Card' size. Over a year ago I made about 30 similar paintings within 2 months and I haven't painted another one since yesterday. Having the experience of painting like this I know whatever I come up with will be okay. I don't trust that everything I do will be great, but I know from experience that there are certain pieces that need to get done on the path to better ones. I can't plan to make only the 'best' pieces. Lately my larger pieces have been black and white abstract art pieces. They look a lot like liquids mixing under a microscope. The little watercolors are made in a similar intuitive state of mind, but they are full of imagery, most of which is domestic- beds, toilets, gardens, kitchens, and people or anthropomorphic animals inhabiting cross-sectioned interior spaces. Castles, water, boats, fireplaces, whales, food, doors and ladders show up a lot as well. The diminutive size forces me to be more delicate than if I made the same paintings bigger. In some ways I can add more detail on a smaller area than on a bigger area, which is weird.

No comments: