Wednesday, February 21, 2007

this is the beginning

I was thinking of posting pictures of everything in my apartment for this blog but that would be dreadfully boring. Mostly because I don't want to take pictures and do that. And if they're just things as they are, who cares? We've all seen things. Perhaps my particular combination of objects will be some sort of cultural commentary like in that book Material World. I would be the typical American artist. For some reason though, I think that if I catalogued all of my material possessions and organized them somehow, I could get a broader assessment of what is important in my life. It could also be practical, because I often misplace various objects, and it'd be nice if I could just search the database of objects in my apartment to find that phone number I wrote on a scrap of paper 3 weeks ago. I have this fantasy of having a 2d graphical inventory, like in a video game where you can open your satchel and find a shotgun and ammo and maybe a first aid kit, except my inventory would be my toothbrush, some pliers, a paintbrush, and a gallon of milk. Each object would take up a certain number of squares in my inventory. It would be interesting to me to figure out just exactly how many squares my apartment has, so that I can arrange icons of my real objects so they fit where they actually are. I'd have a rectangle for each of my dresser drawers, and these would in turn be enclosed within the larger rectangle of my bedroom. I would have to use a small object to determine the basic size of each area square. I suppose a can of soup would be a good smallest unit. If I have smaller things like pennies, or pencils, or scraps of paper, I can either bulk them all together and say 20 pencils takes up one unit square or that this scrap of paper exists but doesn't actually take up space.

Just getting to the point where I think it would be a good idea to do this is nearly impossible. I like thinking about doing it but if I started making little icons of every single sock, book, and tool I own, I'd burn out very quickly. I just like the idea of looking at everything around me simultaneously, like an overseer of my minions.

No comments: