Sunday, October 14, 2007

You probably thought I disappeared, but no, here I am. I hope you all haven't given up on me. I have been plugging away in my studio, and now I'm getting back to the point where I can step back a little bit to post on the blog. Kate and I are now happily married, and are so relieved to not have to get married again. The wedding was great! It was a sweaty day, but it sure looked pretty in the pictures. Here's a photo of the wedding party:
All you people who want pictures will get a "greatest hits" disk, don't you worry; however, I won't post any more here. This is my art space!

My drawing show will be up in November! Yay! It's a two person show with Matthew Mahler at Four Walls Gallery, 564 Congress Street in Portland. Please do check out www.fourwallsgallery.com I'm not listed on the website as one of their artists yet but I will be. The show will be a part of the First Friday Art Walk on November 2.

I just finished the drawing I posted on August 3rd. I said it would take between 13 and 106 days to finish, it took 69. I titled it Vessicle because it was modelled after cell components. Basically a cell wall without all the stuff inside (organelles) is a vessicle. These can be made in a lab. It's a tiny lipid bubble that separates watery liquid. Here's the drawing:
So that leaves one more drawing to finish, get photographed by Jay York, and get framed by November:
You thought the other ones were crazy. Sure, what's so crazy about a spiral? Well, the linear structure is organized into 4 sided polygons and grows from the center out in a spiral. The Innermost polygon is divided into triangles and each adjacent cell has one less triangle until the outermost big polygon is its own undivided cell. So the density within each big polygon increases as you enter the vortex. The area of each big polygon varies with the width of the band as well and this contributes to some pretty interesting value changes. The thin black spiral just counters and slices through the main spiral, dividing it into tasty croissants. The whole thing will be filled in.


I'm experimenting with crystal growth. I have no positive results yet, and I blame it on the humidity. Or better yet--I blame the internet. First, I heated up some water and then I mixed in some demerrara sugar until it would no longer dissolve. I made a super-saturated solution. Then I set a bowl of it on a bench and waited. It has been about a week and no real crystals yet. There is some crystal-like residue where some of the water evaporated, but I want rock candy. I might need to dangle string into a larger container full of sugar water.
I'm trying the same thing with a salt solution, but in this I suspended a steel armature, that in my wildest fantasies will become encrusted with huge square salt crystals. There is some small crystal growth, but this could also be called white residue. The steel is rusting, which may inhibit crystal growth. I'm worried that as salt crystallizes and is removed from the solution, the solution left with be less saturated and melt the crystal in a vicious cycle. This is why I hope my basement gets less humid so evaporation will get those freakin' crystals growing.I need to go to bed....later.

1 comment:

Grouchy said...

Congratulations on your show! Good luck getting everything done!