Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day= Studio Day

I didn't have to work in the optical lab today, so I had a chance to work in the studio and make two new graphite drawings. I actually like the narrow focus detail images more than the actual pieces. They give a sense of what I was seeing as I drew, my nose 3 inches from the paper. I like not being able to see the whole thing, up close they seem more immersive to me.


As I was drawing, I imagined that I was making maps for some imaginary landscape, and each line was a road or pathway connecting possible destinations. The changes in density could relate to population.

Here's the second one:


Anyway, I'm glad I have this blog so I can share things like this the same day they're made. In a week I might hate these and they may or may not ever be seen in public.

2 comments:

The fearless threader said...

these have a quality of monotypes about them, how did you do them. they are so soft and yet precise.

Clint Fulkerson said...

First I draw with a 6H pencil, pressing hard to emboss the paper, then I erase it. Next I draw over that with a 4B pencil to get dark lines with a whitish center.