Monday, July 30, 2007

Forever Beginning

I started a new drawing based on a cell floating in a puddle of goo the day before yesterday. I decided to draw the entire grid beforehand, and then I can decide what to do within the cells. My plan at this point is to fill in the geometric cells with ovals like I usually do, but there are so many paths I can take from this point that I want to just sit back and assess it for a bit. If I ran off quality prints of this grid on several sheets of the same type of paper, I could explore various outcomes from this initial condition. I could record and print the various drawings as I draw them, and I could make a taxonomic evolutionary progression, displaying them as such. If I were printing stages of an etched plate, these progressions would be easier to accomplish. Chances are, this grid will remain unique to this piece and there will be no progression and no taxonomy. I do get carried away with certain ideas that have infinite possibilities. I don't intend to pun, but I do have to draw the line somewhere.It's so hard for me to take a decent picture of black and white drawings. First of all I don't take the time to set up good shots with even lighting, because I always say to myself, "I'll just take it to Jay York" (Portland's art photographer) to get a "real" photo. Also, I want super high resolution images so I can at least have the option of enlarging them to 12 feet wide . The white of the paper never looks white unless I do a fair amount of editing in Photoshop. The drawn area itself is 14 1/4" by 22", and I really wish I had a flatbed scanner that was big enough.


While drawing that, I noticed this in my window:
And soon after Henry jumped through it and erased it.

No comments: